Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mughal Music

The Mughals really did have a great influence over the music of South Asia. They brought with them a unique mix of musical styles from many cultures including the Persians, Hindu, and the existing Indian music. All of this resulting in several variations on musical style including some which today are known as Indian classical music which are still popular with some. They also brought some new musical instruments to the area such as the Raga, Sarod, and Tambura. Many of these can still be seen in Pakistani music today.

I find it interesting how the Mughals were able to leave such a lasting impact on some many aspects of life in South Asia. The music they left behind is rich with many sounds and different from really anything else I have heard. While I would not listen to it normally I do find it enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. Tim, I agree with what you said about how The Mughals left such a great impact on South Asia. I can also say that the music is enjoyable and some of it makes me want to dance. The music can also be relaxing or somewhat laid back. everyone should check out some music from the Mughals it will give you a different perspective on different cultures. Great job Tim!

    ReplyDelete